The state of California is on a heightened surveillance alert for possible Swine Influenza. 7 cases have been confirmed in Southern California. This is an unusual strain of Swine Flu and can possibly be transmitted from human-to-human. Therefore, anyone who has recently traveled to Southern California or Mexico and subsequently becomes ill with a fever and respiratory illness should be tested for this virus.
Swine Flu Symptoms are similar to regular influenza, and include:
- Sore Throat
- Body aches
- Vomiting and diarrhea can also occur.
ANYONE WITH A FEVER OVER 100 F, ACCOMPANIED BY A COUGH OR SORE THROAT, SHOULD BE TESTED FOR SWINE FLU.
WAYS OF PROTECTING YOURSELF AND OTHERS
- STAY HOME IF YOU ARE ILL, AND ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A FEVER
- AVOID CLOSE CONTACT WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE SICK
- COVER YOUR NOSE AND MOUTH WHEN COUGHING/SNEEZING
- WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY
- AVOID TOUCHING YOUR EYES, NOSE, AND MOUTH
CSM Health Center: (650) 574-6396
Skyline Health Center: (650) 738-4270
Canada Health Center: (650) 306-3309